Home

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

A Verse to Begin the Blog

Welcome to Visits and Verse, my new blog, written in response to a couple of comments I've been hearing lately:


"When do I get to see some of your poetry?"


"When will I hear about your trip?"


Below is one of my first published poems. It appeared in Volume 16, Issue 1 of The Storyteller in March 2011. The poem is loosely based on my interactions with a clerk at a computer store. Maybe some of you can relate.


In the next post, I'll share about a place I've visited recently and see if I can figure out how to post a couple of photos here.


Said the Artist to the Arrogant


I detected the condescension
Heard all your marvelous acronyms
Saw your eyes roll when you thought I wouldn't notice
In the computer store as you tried to help me
Your disdain stung
But on the drive home
The hawk circled
The grasses waved
Pavarotti sang
My dog smiled as I opened the door
I sat at my piano
Studied the print on the wall above, then
Played for Renoir's Lady of the Piano
Some flawless Schumann
And wrote this poem.

7 comments:

ScheltyDebate said...

We are all gifted in some area... the key is to be comfortable enough with our gift that we don't have to look down on someone else who doesn't share that gift. Thanks for sharing! Too bad you couldn't share that Schumann with us too! ;)

Lori said...

Just between you and me, Sandy, I took some grand liberties with the word flawless.

Thanks for being the first to comment.

Robin J. Steinweg said...

I've been recipient of similar attitudes--I can relate. I think your poem is brilliant! So... when will we hear about your trip? ; )

Robin J. Steinweg said...

By the way, congratulations on what will undoubtedly be a blog to follow. Well done! Great launch.

Lori said...

Sometime tomorrow, if I can get it all to work, I'll be sharing about a little trip I took last Saturday to a city near and dear to your heart.
Thanks for reading, Robin.

Joanie said...

Well done, my friend! Congratulations!

Lori said...

Thanks for stopping by, Joanie.