Home

Friday, August 19, 2011

Our Last Evening in Paris, the Crowd and the Famous Person

It’s almost time to leave Paris and take the Thalys high-speed train to Amsterdam. Before we bid au revoir, let me share the mild excitement of our last evening.

We were back at our hotel before dinner time and from our window we noticed a crowd forming out on the sidewalk. The area by the entrance to our hotel was roped off, and as we looked out we watched two large silver vehicles and then four black ones with darkened windows (Suburbans, I think) pull into the hidden hotel parking area. 

The crowd forming outside on the walk. People were lined up like this on the sidewalk for blocks. Sorry about the white lines; they're shades on our room window.

I persuaded Paige to go outside for a walk to look for a restaurant or café for dinner. When we left our room there were two large bodyguard-looking men outside our door and a crowd being held back by their presence. We were allowed to pass, but no one would answer my questions about who was in the hotel. Our room was near the end of the hallway, so we assumed the famous person (or some of her entourage) was either in the room across the hall or next door to us on the end.

Downstairs, I pressed the desk clerk and finally found out it was Jennifer Lopez—she was being showcased that evening (singing) at the hotel. We never saw her, but perhaps we would have if we'd kept our eye to the peep-hole on our door all night.


We left the hotel about 5:00 the next morning. The front desk called a taxi for us, and the drive was most unusual. The car was a Mercedes and the driver was a woman. It was only the second female taxi driver I'd ever seen. Her black Mercedes was new and the driver was beautiful. Her nails were perfectly polished and she had a dress and heels on. I kept trying to imagine her story. She drove us around the Arc du Triomphe and the traffic circle was empty. It was worth getting up so early just to see that.


Have a great weekend!


A few more shots of Paris: 

The Seine





Notre Dame Cathedral


I'll miss you most of all, Musee d'Orsay

Dance in the City, Renoir [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons




At the end of August, there'll be another drawing. The winner receives a $25 Gift Card to Barnes and Noble. To enter your name for the free drawing, simply click on the join this site gadget at the top right part of the blog and become a member/follower. Current members are automatically entered. For a second chance at winning,  members may simply leave a comment on the blog during the month of August

5 comments:

Robin J. Steinweg said...

Hey! I was your 1,000th visitor to Thursday's post! I feel special. Congratulations! Now I'll read Friday's; perhaps coment on that as well.

Robin J. Steinweg said...

I like your style of visual writing, Lori. It's like being there with you. I can easily picture things. You've got me wondering about the lady taxi driver, too!

Lori Lipsky said...

Robin,

I couldn't have picked a nicer 1000th visitor! You deserve some sort of prize, I'm sure. Thanks for dropping by and doing some visiting with me. I love your comments.

The Prude said...

Robin, this is what makes Lori such an excellent poet– that gift/knack for visual writing.
I want to know the 5am taxi driver's story too!
And thank you for that final shot of a bridge over the river.
I can't wait for a glimpse of Amsterdam!

Lori Lipsky said...

Thanks for your encouraging comments, Prude. The bridge shot was just for you--wish I had a better quality one. Guess I'll have to go back, or maybe you'll have to go and get one.