Home

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam, The Netherlands

The famous Rijksmuseum is a short walk from the Van Gogh Museum. I was there once before, when my high school choir was on tour in Europe. I didn't appreciate art much back in those days, so I was thankful for this opportunity to go again.

My favorite art history student before we visit the Rijksmuseum

Much of the museum is closed due to renovations, but the finest works are housed and currently on display in the Philips Wing of the museum. We found plenty to look at and were not disappointed by the impact of the renovations. We still saw plenty of Dutch art.
Here we go!
The interior   PD photo by Justin V.A.Slater via Wikimedia Commons
The paintings collection includes works by artists Jacob van RuysdaelFrans HalsJohannes VermeerJan Steen and Rembrandt and his pupils.

The Milkmaid by Vermeer
Portrait of a Young Couple by Hals

The Feast of Saint Nicholas by Steen
Yes, there are a couple Van Gogh works, too. Van Gogh's Self-Portrait with Grey Felt Hat  1886-87
All photos of paintings today PD via Wikimedia Commons

The museum's most famous painting is by Rembrandt. I'll share The Nightwatch and other of Rembrandt's works at the Rijksmuseum in the next post.

7 comments:

The Prude said...

Next time we meet I'll have to bring along a story of 'The Night Watch' that I read as a little girl. It always broke my heart...

The Prude said...

I don't want to leave The Netherlands! I'm enjoying it too much!

Lori Lipsky said...

I'll try to stretch it out as long as I can, Prude. Glad you're enjoying the visit.

Joanie said...

Thanks for the art education! I enjoyed the paintings.

Robin J. Steinweg said...

I love the Vermeer. Thank you for sharing these! I agree with the Prude; I don't want to leave Amsterdam!

Robin J. Steinweg said...

Oh yes, I almost forgot--our favorite art history student makes a pretty fine work of art herself!

Lori Lipsky said...

Joanie--Glad you like the paintings.

Robin--I love looking at that pretty picture of her. She was happy in Amsterdam and is looking forward to going back.