Home

Monday, November 21, 2011

A Verse: "Dreams" by Langston Hughes via Poets.Org



To check out a poem, find out who the most famous contemporary or historical poets are or what the most popular poems are these days,
http://www.poets.org is the place to go.

Currently on their lists at Poets.org, Langston Hughes is the most popular(most searched) historical poet and his poem "Dreams" is in the #2 spot for most popular poem.


Dreams
by Langston Hughes

Hold fast to dreams 
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly.


Hold fast to dreams
For when dreams go
Life is a barren field
Frozen with snow.


Langston Hughes, 1936 photo by Carl Van Vechten [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

If you like poetry, I suggest a visit to Poets.Org at http://www.poets.org

2 comments:

The Prude said...

Wow. I am familiar with Langston Hughes. I may not agree with his philosophy of life but not one give voice to the philosophy as he does.
Thanks Lori!
Can't wait for the day you have the most searched poems!

ScheltyDebate said...

I do like the way he expresses his thoughts. I used one of his poems in my April Month of Poetry album.

This poem reminds me of a Hebrew proverb: Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a desire fulfilled is a tree of life.