Home

Monday, November 14, 2011

A Verse: "Fall, Leaves, Fall" by EMILY BRONTË

It's been five or six years since Katie and I memorized "Fall Leaves, Fall" together (I tutored student Katie a while back).


Since last week when it snowed, the first part of the poem has been running through my mind. I'm thankful for the colorful leaves of the little maple in our front yard, but I know my favorite person would be glad if he could rake its leaves up before another snowfall arrives.


Here it is last week as the snow was falling--the leaves clung on.






Here is the same tree this morning. Almost all the other trees in the neighborhood have lost their leaves.  Just this tree outside our front window and its friend across the street hang on.





Fall, leaves, fall

BY EMILY JANE BRONTË
Fall, leaves, fall; die, flowers, away;
Lengthen night and shorten day;
Every leaf speaks bliss to me
Fluttering from the autumn tree.
I shall smile when wreaths of snow
Blossom where the rose should grow;
I shall sing when night’s decay
Ushers in a drearier day.
Source: Poets of the English Language (Viking Press, 1950)



"I shall smile when wreaths of snow blossom where the rose should grow" doesn't express my heart's thoughts,not yet anyway, but the first four lines are sweet--I love Bronte's use of the word bliss here. Genius.

4 comments:

The Prude said...

Just beautiful. I'm not familiar with that poem, so thank you for it!
And that first photo is just gorgeous!

Suef said...

I didn't know this poem either. Thanks.

ScheltyDebate said...

Love this poem! Thanks!

Robin J. Steinweg said...

I find this poem so encouraging--and I determine that I, too, will smile when wreaths of snow blossom where the roses bloomed!