Home

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

A Verse: "The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost plus another favorite



These are the sort of trees I picture when Robert Frost mentions a yellow wood in his poem, "The Road Not Taken." My friend Sandy Schelthelm took this photo.


photo by Sandy Schelthelm




If I were to make a list of my favorite poems, this Frost poem below would claim the #1 spot. It's another poem that Katie (former student) and I memorized together about six years ago. She could recite it beautifully.



The Road Not Taken


by Robert Frost


Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

If you head over to poets.org you can hear Frost himself (an aged Frost) recite it:

http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/15717 

*******************
If you were to make a list of your favorite people on earth, who would claim the #1 spot?

Happy birthday wishes to my favorite person! He turns just a little bit older today.

 Paige, Sally and I had fun birthday shopping for him. We're thankful to have the whole
 family together to celebrate. 

2 comments:

The Prude said...

The photos and verse go together beautifully.
Can't pick one favorite person- my parents first in time,
siblings, then my husband joined the throng and then amazing boys, now wonderful daughters...

But now I want to think of who my favorite poet is.
My dad's was Edgar Guest. I love everything I've read by Mildred Bowers Armstrong but can find so little by her.
My sister Cindi loves this Frost poem very much too, and so did my beloved dad!

Robin J. Steinweg said...

Thanks for sharing this, Lori. Favorite person? Oh, hard question! I can't have a single favorite. I have many favorites. A favorite first-born son, favorite second-born son, favorite mom, favorite dad and favorite husband (only one, too!). My favorite friends? Well, for one, the poetess who writes this blog!