Home

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

A Visit to Des Moines, Iowa and the Iowa State Capitol Building

Let me share about another tag-along trip--this time to Des Moines, Iowa. Mark had to leave home to drive to Des Moines on a holiday several months ago so he'd be available for a business meeting the next morning. I went along so we could spend the holiday together. Afterward, he flew out from Des Moines to another destination and I drove the car back home.

It was my first time ever in Des Moines. Because of the holiday, the downtown hotel seemed almost deserted and we lucked out and got a free upgrade. It was the largest square-footage hotel room I'd been in to date, I think. There was a living room, a bedroom,  a mini-kitchen, a spa/bar area... it was huge.





And this was the view from our window. The Iowa State Capitol Building.




The Capitol building is gorgeous.







The grounds are huge and beautifully maintained.




There are numerous statues to honor important historic figures.


This Pioneer Statuary Group greets visitors






Christopher Columbus 


Most impressive are the monuments to honor U.S. Veterans of Foreign and Domestic Wars

Veterans of Foreign Wars Monument


















The capitol grounds were impressive. They made me proud to say my parents were both born and raised in the great state of Iowa. It was a marvelous place to visit on Memorial Day. 

For more information on the State Capitol Grounds or a virtual tour go to:

I am so thankful for each of you who read my blog and take the time to leave a comment. Your kind words are such an encouragement. Truly, you brighten my days.



5 comments:

Helen Jones said...

There are so many cities in the US that are jewels and we never visit them. We used to drive through Charleston, W Va, when we lived in South Carolina and would go home to Ohio for a visit....what a beautiful city! Thanks for the tour of Des Moines...we have to check it out!

Lori Lipsky said...

You're right. I can't believe it took so long to visit Des Moines.

The Prude said...

Great photos! And you hotel room- wow!
Not sure of my opinion of the striped carpet but with that kind of space, who cares?

Lori Lipsky said...

Prude,
Plus it was sparkling clean, which I know you'd appreciate!

Robin J. Steinweg said...

...and your Visits and Verse brightens my days! Thanks for the virtual tour within the photo tour!