Home

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

A Visit to Governor Nelson State Park: Post 1 of 2



I don't like to admit it, but late fall has come to southern Wisconsin and winter fast approaches. The leaves are an honest indicator.


Governor State Park is less than two miles from my house and a favorite family spot. For years, our family would go hiking on the trails there together, week after week. We've purchased the parking permit for as long as I can remember.
















2009, 2007, etc. ...are on another car




At Governor Nelson State Park, the beach on Lake Mendota is a favorite spot. The girls used to swim there and we'd meet friends for fun and picnics...


Nowadays, the kids have their own schedules and rarely come along, but Mark still loves walks there and I am always interested in seeing the lake and the beach (it's our closest public lake access area).  My knee doesn't like long walks, but I'll walk for a while and I'm always up for a view of beautiful Lake Mendota. 


Here are some pictures I've taken of a favorite spot to mark the change from fall to late fall(I can't bring myself to say the wi---r word):


There's the cute bench by the beach




Here it is.




Watching the trees across the lake(September 23)from the backside of the bench.
















Ten days ago




Three days ago--Fall is fading



Upcoming posts: A few more photos from beloved Governor Nelson State Park, some steeples and more from Hong Kong






4 comments:

The Prude said...

What a great idea! Love seeing a bench-eye's view of the changing seasons!
We don't go to this park nearly enough. We'll have to get there again soon. Thanks for the reminder.

Robin J. Steinweg said...

Thanks, Lori--I've never done more than a drive-thru of this park.

This fall's color show has been stupendous! And today, it's especially interesting to see the remaining reds and golds frosted with slush and snow :(

Susan said...

Our Jake was baptized in that lake/park, while we watched on that beach. Very special place to me also!

Lori Lipsky said...

Prude--Thanks! I hope you are able to enjoy a visit there soon.


Robin--It's close. We should go.


Susan--Thank you for sharing that very special memory. I miss seeing your boys like I used to.