Home

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

A Visit to Denver, Colorado and the Capitol Building

After our tour of the University of Colorado in Boulder, we drove to Denver. We had an afternoon to spend there.  


If you had just one short afternoon to spend in Denver, what would you do?


Paige and I decided to visit the Capitol Building and the Denver Art Museum.


Since the days when the girls were young, our family has sort of had a goal of visiting all 50 capital cities and capitol buildings. Mark has been to Denver a number of times on business, but this was the first opportunity I had to see Denver and the capitol. I was thrilled to finally have the opportunity. Paige, too.






The other side




The Colorado Capitol is a fine, well-kept building, but it lacks some of the grandeur of Wisconsin's Capitol building. Wisconsinites will know what I mean.






My travel companion taking a photo




The rotunda and the Christmas tree
The ceiling



A miniature Lincoln statue; it was about four feet tall.

After a short tour of the capitol, we drove over to the nearby Denver Art Museum.


Next post: The Denver Art Museum (DAM) hosts a fabulous exhibit



4 comments:

The Prude said...

Nice. The one thing about the Denver Capitol building (if I remember right) is that if you stand on a certain step you are exactly 1 mile above sea level. Can't do that in Wisconsin!!

Lori Lipsky said...

One mile high (in the mile high city). It didn't seem that high when we were there, either.

I hope I stood on the right step!

Robin J. Steinweg said...

Now I'm curious; how many capitols have you visited???

Lori Lipsky said...

Ah, still a ways to go.

Capital cities--about half.
Capitol buildings, about one third.