Home

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Claude Monet at the Art Institute of Chicago


Claude Monet, an initiator of French impressionist painting, lived from 1840 to 1926. The term Impressionism originated from the title of his early painting, Impression, Sunrise. Monet and other impressionists broke the rules of acceptable academic painting practices and were considered radicals.

Here are some of his earlier works on display at the Art Institute of Chicago.


The Petite Creuse River, 1889






Cliff Walk at Pourville, 1882



Bordighera, 1884


Rocks at the Port-Goulphar, Belle-Ile, 1886

Monet came to Belle-Ile, a small island off the shore of Brittany to capture the beauty of the place. He came for two weeks and stayed more than two months, having misjudged the time it would take to explore and paint.

Boats on the Beach at Etretat, 1885

Painted during the rain from his narrow view of the beach in his room at the Hotel Blanquet.


Poppy Field (Giverny), 1890-91
Monet painted four scaled canvases showing poppy fields near his home. He did not consider them a series, but they show his growing interest in developing similar canvases.




*****

 It's party time. All current Visits and Verses members are invited to a Parker Brothers' Masterpiece Board Game party at my WI home. You should have received an invitation via e-mail or on Facebook. If you're a member and didn't receive an invite, then please send me a note at lorilipsky@gmail.com.

Not sure if you're a member/follower? Look for your photo in the upper left of Visits and Verse (you may have to click 'more', then 'next') or hover over one of the colored squares and see if your name appears or just send me a note and ask. Not a member? I invite you to join our group.



Have a terrific weekend. Next week I'll show some more Monet from Chicago, and then we'll be moving on.

9 comments:

Suef said...

My favorite is the Cliff painting. I love Monet. I have mostly seen his garden paintings so this was great! Thanks.

Susan said...

Oh I love, love, love Monet! He is my favorite painter. I just love the way he does water and sky.

Robin J. Steinweg said...

Lori,
Thank you SO much for featuring Monet! I cannot get enough of his work.

I'd love to learn impressionist techniques and use the walls of my home for a canvas!!!!

Lori Lipsky said...

Robin, I knew you'd love seeing the Monet. There is more of him to come next week.



Susan, I'm so glad you enjoyed the Monet as well!


Suef, These earlier Monet paintings were new to me, too. The cliff one is beautiful, isn't it?

Joanie said...

Love the Monet's especialy the on with the cliffs. I don't think I have seen anything like that in his other paintings.

Lori Lipsky said...

Thanks for dropping by, Joanie. Great to hear from you!

The Prude said...

Well, my friend, this is the 3rd time I am trying to comment.
I love the poppy fields the most. I want that hanging in my kitchen. Of course my husband will need to build a new wall to accommodate it :)

Crafty Green Poet said...

Beautiful, I love Monet's paintings.

Lori Lipsky said...

Thanks for stopping over at Visits and Verse, Juliet. All the commenters seem to agree with you about Monet. No controversy here (and I'm thankful for that)!