Home

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Denver Art Museum Classics

I guess I am in my art museum phase of life. I've visited more art museums in the last seven months than in all of the rest of my years combined. I'm loving it!


For January, I am going to give a free copy of a Masters of Art series book to each of my top five commenters. The books are published by Prestel. You'll receive one of the titles: Rembrandt, Monet or Van Gogh. The books are lovely and will go along well with our visits to the Denver Art Museum and the upcoming Art Institute of Chicago.


For today... a few oil-paint-on-canvas treasures from the Denver Art Museum's regular collection.




Charles Russell (American), The Hold-Up 1899




Indian Woman with Boy, Joseph H. Sharp (1859-1953)






Did you know that Albert Bierstadt's paintings were influential in the development and appointment of our National Parks? Daughter Paige is a big fan of his work, partly for this reason.


Albert Bierstadt (American), Yosemite Falls,  1863



Grand Canyon Lodge by Thomas Moran, American, 1837-1926

Yosemite by Albert Bierstadt, about 1870




Estes Park, 1877 by Albert Bierstadt


Next Post: On Monday we'll look at the architecture of Denver


Note: the photo at the top is from the Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam, 2011

7 comments:

The Prude said...

This has to be one of my favorites- I love Denver, (having lived there for several years when little) and national parks and hollyhocks and Estes Park where we had several family reunions.
I should have had you go to Xavier Street in Westminster to find my old home!

Susan said...

My father loved Charles Russell.

Lori Lipsky said...

Prude, I don't think I knew you lived in Denver when you were young! I haven't made it to Estes Park yet...

Susan, I'll bet my dad does, too. He loves westerns and Louis L'Amour and all those sorts of things.

Robin J. Steinweg said...

The Bierstadt paintings are lovely! Thanks for sharing them, Lori. I've never been to Colorado. I'm glad you and Paige got to go.

Suef said...

I look so much at photographer. I is a real treat to look at the stunning work of paint artists. I never go to art museums. Thank.

Lori Lipsky said...

Suef, I'll need to drag you along to an art museum with me sometime.

Lori Lipsky said...

Robin,

You betcha (as you would say). Glad you liked the Bierstadt group.