Home

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A Look Back at Visits and Verse and Happy New Year 2012 Wishes!

The start of a new year is the perfect time for a look back to see where we've been and a look forward to what lies ahead. It's a fine time for reflection and for goals. 


Doing just that, here are a few Visits and Verse stats:
  • The blog began July 13, 2011
  • Visits and Verse has had over 4100 hits
  • ScheltyDebate was the first to comment; The Prude was the most frequent commenter of 2011.
  • People from over fifteen countries have visited Visits and Verse
  • Besides the U.S., top page views are from Russia, the UK, Germany, Hong Kong  and Canada.
  • Operating systems used: Mac 53%, Windows 35% and iPad 8%
  • Most popular browsers used: Safari 58%, then Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome
  • Facebook and Google are the most popular referring sites
What fun! I enjoy stats.

Of the ten most popular Visits and Verse posts of the year, two of them featured poems I'd gotten published (hurray), one featured a guest writer, one a guest photographer (paired with a poem I wrote), and one featured a poem by famous writer, Emily Bronte. 


The other top posts highlighted trips (visits) to Door County, Paris and the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam.

Here's the poem from the very first post, the most popular probably because it was the first and some viewers start there.The poem appeared in Volume 16, Issue 1 of The Storyteller in March 2011. 

Said the Artist to the Arrogant
by Lori Lipsky




I detected the condescension
Heard all your marvelous acronyms
Saw your eyes roll when you thought I wouldn't notice
In the computer store as you tried to help me
Your disdain stung
But on the drive home
The hawk circled
The grasses waved
Pavarotti sang
My dog smiled as I opened the door
I sat at my piano
Studied the print on the wall above, then
Played for Renoir's Lady of the Piano
Some flawless Schumann
And wrote this poem.




And here are two more verses from 2011's top ten:


Rome Travel Books appeared at Red Poppy Review


http://redpoppyreview.blogspot.com/2011/10/rome-travel-books-by-lori-lipsky.html?spref=bl

5 comments:

The Prude said...

Glad you are back! What a delightful blog you have.
Nothing else like it that I know of. Looking forward to a new year full of visits and verses!

Robin J. Steinweg said...

Ah, Poet-Lori-ette! Good to hear from you once again!

"I shall smile when wreaths of snow
Blossom where the rose should grow;
I shall sing when night’s decay
Ushers in a drearier day."

I'm smiling, I'm singing!

Lori Lipsky said...

Prude--Thanks for noticing. Did you see that you won the #1 commenter spot for 2011? Your support is much appreciated. Be sure to tune in tomorrow when I show some of your photos as I highlight the Top 10 Visits and Verse posts from 2011.

Robin-- Thanks for all your encouragement #2 Visits and Verse commenter from 2011. Here's a bit of doggerel with a smile for you:
You're number two, you're number two
I've no clue what I'd do without you!

ScheltyDebate said...

Life has been a bit of a blur, but I'm looking forward to slowing down for at least a few minutes to smell the roses or at least read about your visits and read your verses!

Lori Lipsky said...

Thanks, ScheltyDebate. I look forward to featuring more of your photos in 2012 if you'll allow.