Home

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Look What I Found in my Parents' Basement. Masterpiece 1987

Look what we found in my parents' basement last Tuesday when I went for a visit. The 1987 version of the Masterpiece game. 


25% of the cards are the same as the 1970 Version of the game. 


Seventy-five percent are 'new' masterpieces.












 Here are several paintings from the '87 game that I spotted at the Art Institute of Chicago.  


Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grand Jatte by Georges Seurat, 1884-86


I wanted to show this photo so you could see the scale of the piece and the crowds. I waited around a while for heads to move in order to get this next shot...




The Seurat owns a place of prominence at the museum and is one of their most popular pieces. It is Seurat's largest and best-known painting.








Van Gogh's The Bedroom, 1889







Van Gogh's Self-portrait, 1887, made the center of the 1987 board. Deservedly so.





Water Lilies, 1906, by Claude Monet




Paul Cezanne's The Vase of Tulips, 1890

This still life of fruit and flowers appears in several other paintings by Cezanne. From what I've read, the spatial relationships between objects in the painting is admirable. I just know that I love it when I see it.


*****


And this Renoir which is part of the 1987 Masterpiece game calls Chicago its home, but it was out on loan when we visited. But here is a print from the wall in our office next to the piano. I love Renoir and love this painting:


Renoir's Lady at the Piano, 1875



I like all the paintings here. I'm not sure I could pick a favorite. Do you have one?

5 comments:

Suef said...

Thanks again for the tour. The Seurat is really huge. I had no idea.

Susan said...

Now I am not sure which version my family had. These are all so beautiful, but I have to love the Monet the best.

Robin J. Steinweg said...

It's a toss-up; my favorite, that is. It's between Renoir's good lady at the piano and Monet's water lilies.

It warms my heart to see them!

Will their be verses forthcoming about them???

The Prude said...

I've always loved 'The Bedroom' but I read somewhere that it projects loneliness. But it doesn't project that to me :)

The Prude said...

I've always loved 'The Bedroom' but I read somewhere that it projects loneliness. But it doesn't project that to me :)