Home

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Parker Brothers meets the Art Institute of Chicago

My family played games as I was growing up. Many games. Masterpiece by Parker Brothers was my mom's favorite and we played it a lot.


To be honest, I often groaned and moaned about it. Turns out, as I look back, all those games of Masterpiece had an impact and it's about as close to an art museum as I got with my family as I was growing up.






On my recent visit with Mark, Sandy, Paige and Alex to the Art Institute of Chicago, one of my goals was to find as many paintings from the old Masterpiece Art Auction Game (1970 version) as I could. I had success.




Old Man with a Gold Chain, 1631 by Rembrandt Harmensz van Rijn




Saint John the Baptist in the Wilderness, 1618-1625, Spanish


Still Life by the Dutch, Pieter Claesz, 1625-30





Peter Paul Rubens, 1577-1640, Flemish The Holy Family with Saints Elizabeth and John the Baptist, c. 1615









The Assumption of the Virgin, El Greco, 1577-79





Have you ever played the Masterpiece board game? I brought up the box from the basement and it sat on our kitchen table for six days last week. No one here was interested in playing it with me. I had a wonderful time looking through the art cards again, though.



Next Post: Some more Parker Brothers' Masterpieces from the Art Institute of Chicago

5 comments:

Suef said...

I have never played that game. I was very cool to see the picture on the game and the actual piece of art in the museum!

Lori Lipsky said...

Sue, Now you've got me thinking maybe I could get a group of Madison-area Visits and Verse friends together here to play it. I would love that, and my family would be glad to be off the hook.

Anyone willing?

Susan said...

Oh, my family played that game a lot while I was growing up. I remember just looking and looking at the beautiful cards on my own too.

ScheltyDebate said...

LOVE that game. I played it A LOT as a child, not so much with our family, although Rick started a new thing where we actually took on the personalities of the people at the auction. Very fun! :)

Robin J. Steinweg said...

I loved that game! I loved just gazing at the cards, too, on my own. We played it during homeschooling, too. Higher stakes than Monopoly!

It would be fun to see the real deal.