Home

Monday, January 23, 2012

Photographer Timothy H. O'Sullivan; Oil on canvas at the Art Institute of Chicago

When daughter Paige read that there was an extensive exhibit of Timothy H.O'Sullivan photographs at the Chicago museum, she was pretty excited about it. I'd never heard of him.





No photos of the exhibit were allowed. The exhibit book is for sale in the museum shop: http://www.artinstituteshop.org



Clarence King's survey of the West (1867-1872) was the first to include a full-time photographer. Timothy O'Sullivan, who produced over 400 photographs, remains the most studied and admired photographer of the 19th century western surveys.

*****
If you prefer oil on canvas paintings, here are a few from the museum's collection:

Antwerp: Landscape with the Penitent Saint Jerome, 1530-40, 

Trompe l'Oeil Still Life with a Flower Garland and a Curtain, 1658, Dutch painters Spelt and Mieris.
Adriaen van der Spelt painted the flowers and Mieris did the Trompe l'oeil work with the curtain







Moulin de la Galette, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, 1889
Lautrec thinned his paint with turpentine and applied in loose washings
(the technique, peinture a l'essence)








Haying Time, Camille Pissarro, French, 1892







Woman Bathing Her Feet in a Brook, Pissarro, 1894/95




The Vase of Tulips, the French Paul Cezanne, 1890




Thanks for stopping by Visits and Verse. I'm glad you did. Have a great day.


Upcoming posts: Monet; Parker Brother's Masterpiece Board Game

8 comments:

The Prude said...

Still life paintings are not usually my favorite but I really like the flowers peeking around the edge of the curtain. I love your choices today!

Lori Lipsky said...

Thanks, Prude. The curtain one is my favorite, too.

Why am I not surprised you like the Dutch piece??

Suef said...

Thanks for a look at these paintings. I loved the one of the girl bathing her feet in the stream. I wish that was me right about now!

Susan said...

Beautiful paintings! I enjoyed looking at them. They were not ones that I was already familiar with.

Lori Lipsky said...

Suef, I love the colors in the woman bathing her feet one. Pissarro is becoming one of my favorites.




Susan, Thanks. I'm so glad you enjoyed them.

Robin J. Steinweg said...

Lori,
What a gift you give your readers! I enjoy Trompe l'Oeil and often wish I could do it. I wondered what that curtain would look like if it had been ironed! Sure looks real.

But the Pisarro--I love them both. Especially the haying one. I want to jump right into the painting and smell the cut grass, feel the breeze...

Lori Lipsky said...

Thank you, Robin. I just love some of the Trompe L'Oeil I've seen in the last year and had never heard of the technique before that. Same thing with Pissarro and isn't he grand?

Sandy said...

Wish I didn't live so far away! I would love to come to your Masterpiece party. It was fun seeing the original paintings of the pictures in the Masterpiece game we played as kids.