Home

Monday, January 16, 2012

Sculpture at the Art Institute of Chicago



Edward Kemey's Lion Statue outside the Art Institute of Chicago






I look at it, study it, read about it, but I still don't get it. 


Sculpture amazes me. How do the artists do it? 


Here are a few works of sculpture from the Art Institute of Chicago:


My companions for the day L-R: Sister Sandy, Niece Alex, Daughter Paige and Husband Mark holding Paige's camera



Vater Staat (Father State) by the German born Thomas Schutte, bronze
(Schutte's 2010 comment on powerful, towering regimes)



The Head of Buddha, 9th Century Indonesia




              Buddha Seated in Meditation, Granite, 12th Century India










Eve After the Fall, Auguste Rodin, 1886, marble
Critics of the day were shocked by its realism. Eve seemed real rather than idealized.




      Three encased sculptures by Rodin
1. Head of Pierre de Wissant, 1889  2.?  3. Carytide, 1891




The French sculptor, Rodin, lived from 1840 to 1917. Many of his works were widely criticized during his lifetime because they clashed with figure sculpture tradition and weren’t created around the themes of mythology and allegory. Rodin refused to change his style. His reputation grew after his World’s Fair exhibit, but then declined after his death until resurgence in the 1950’s. Today Rodin is one of few sculptors whose name is widely known outside the fine arts community.



Have a great day. Thank you for being part of Visits and Verse.


Upcoming post: Parker Brothers intersects with Masterpieces from the Art Institute of Chicago

4 comments:

Suef said...

Thanks for exposing me to sculpture. I have never paid much attention to it so this is a really great way for my to get it in my sights.

Lori Lipsky said...

Suef,

Glad you liked the post. Your comments are always a pick-me-up.

Robin J. Steinweg said...

I think it was Michaelangelo who spoke of finding the shape that's already there, and chipping away what doesn't belong, rather than trying to force a rock to take the shape you want.

It has always baffled me, too.

Thanks for sharing these, Lori!

Lori Lipsky said...

Robin,
You sent me looking for Michelangelo quotes:
" I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free."
"Every block of stone has a statue inside it and it is the task of the sculptor to discover it."