Home

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A Three Hour Drive to the Chicago Institute of Art

Finally, finally I made it back to the Chicago Institute of Art. I say finally because Paige and I have talked about the possibility of going together for three or four years (Paige has gone by bus with her friend Nikki a few times). 


The last time I went to the museum I was in high school and visited with my French Club. That was over 30 years ago, but I remember there was a special Monet exhibit and I was so impressed by one particular painting--I had seen prints of it for years (it was part of the Masterpiece Board Game that we played all the time at home) but in person it was a whole different world:

This painting made such an impact when I was sixteen: Monet's Gare Saint-Lazare, PD Wikimedia Commons



Mark, Paige and I left Waunakee, picked up my sister and niece in Janesville (they were up visiting from Atlanta)  and we made the drive to downtown Chicago. Mark drove and he dropped my sister Sandy and I off near the entrance where we hopped in the long line while the rest found parking.

My younger sister Sandy loves good art, too.





We arrived ten minutes after the museum opened and the line was long. Brr. I'd left my coat in the car when I hopped out. I had to huddle with my sister a bit.



Finally here and so excited!



When you stand on the steps in front on the Art Institute and look out, you get a good view of the Willis Tower (formerly named the Sear's Tower) plus you see the original starting spot of the old Route 66.





Next post: Inside the spectacular Chicago Institute of Art

10 comments:

The Prude said...

Lori! I went to the Chicago Institute of Art in high school with my French class! We were in Monet heaven!
I knew Route 66 started somewhere in Chicago but didn't realize it was right there. Very cool.
Can't wait for tomorrow!

Lori Lipsky said...

Prude,

From now on we can speak French with each other!

Merveilleux. Si heureux que nous les deux parlent le français. Nous devrions utiliser le français exclusivement à partir de maintenant:-).

Sandy said...

Love your blog! It was such a fun day.

Sandy said...

Love your blog! It was such a fun day.

Lori Lipsky said...

Thanks for dropping by Visits and Verse, Sandy.

You can expect to see a photo or two of yourself here on the blog in the next few days...

Robin J. Steinweg said...

Monet! My favorite. Sandy looks more like you than I remembered.

More monet, please! Seconds? Thirds?

Robin J. Steinweg said...

Regardez-vous votre comment au Prude: mais non! Ma Francaise is not bon enough to parlez exclusivement, et it would be RUDE!

C'est Jacques. Il habit au deuxieme etage. C'est haut!

Suef said...

I have never been to the Chicago Institute of Art. But I love Monet too. Yes, you and your sister share a strong resemblance!

Lori Lipsky said...

Robin,

Your French comment cracked me up and I didn't even have to use a translation program:-).

There is much more Monet to come...just for you.

Lori Lipsky said...

Suef, There's more Monet to come for you too, Sue!

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. My sister will appreciate that I made a special point to say that she is the younger one. However, when we were growing up she wasn't that thrilled to be four years younger.