Home

Friday, January 20, 2012

Van Gogh at the Art Institute of Chicago

Post-impressionist Vincent Van Gogh, considered to be one of the greatest Dutch painters (after Rembrandt), lived from 1853 to 1890. He took up painting in 1880 at his brother's urging. In 1886, when he moved to Paris to stay with his brother, he became acquainted with artists Degas, Pissarro, Toulouse-Lautrec and Gauguin. 

Van Gogh painted almost 900 works during the last ten years of his life. Thankfully there are some to see here in the midwest! The Art Institute of Chicago owns several:


Vincent Van Gogh, The Bedroom, 1889

This is second of three versions he made. It shows the interior of the Yellow House in Arles, in the south of France.
The first version was one of the paintings he made to decorate the house for his visitor, Paul Gauguin.






Van Gogh, The Drinkers, 1890





Madame Roulin Rocking the Cradle, 1889




Van Gogh's Terrace and Observation Deck at the Moulin de Blute-Fin, Montmartre, 1887
This was one of a group of landscapes Van Gogh painted about a year after he arrived to stay with his brother Theo in Paris.



A Peasant Woman Digging in Front of Her Cottage, 1885



Self-Portrait, 1887




  • During his lifetime Van Gogh sold only one painting, The Red Vineyard, 1888, which now hangs at the Pushkin Museum in Moscow. 


  • On the list of the top-ten-most-expensive-painting-sales-in-history, three of the paintings are by Van Gogh.


 “I want to touch people with my art. I want them to say 'he feels deeply, he feels tenderly.”  ~Van Gogh


*****


In case you haven't heard, for January I am going to give a free copy of an art book to each of my top five commenters. The books are published by Prestel. You'll receive one of the titles: Rembrandt, Monet or Van Gogh. The books go along well with our Art Institute of Chicago visit.


Have a terrific weekend. Thanks for stopping by Visits and Verse. You rock.


Lori

7 comments:

Donna Boucher said...

There is something so wonderfully awesome about being in the same room with a masterpiece.

Lori Lipsky said...

Beautifully said, Donna. I agree.

The Prude said...

Van Gogh is my favorite artist. Maybe it's because that tenderness really is apparent.
I wasn't familiar with all these- thank you!

Lori Lipsky said...

Prude,

It's no wonder...you share that Dutch blood.

I love Van Gogh, too. Love his use of color and he somehow shows his heart through his work.

Robin J. Steinweg said...

Of these Van Goghs that you've shared (thank you!), I like the peasant woman best. My heart breaks for this creative genius who was so unappreciated during his short life.

How incredibly many paintings!

You've helped me develop a greater appreciation for him.

Suef said...

Ben Lamb made a film about Van Gogh. Evan Carlson was Van Gogh and Aaron was Paul Gaugin. I wonder if Aaron has a coy. You might enjoy it. I enjoyed seeing these painting. I only had seem two of them before.

Lori Lipsky said...

Robin, Thanks for sharing your favorite. The more I learn of Van Gogh and read his writings, the more I like him.


Suef, I would love to see the film if Aaron has a copy he would let me borrow.