Home

Monday, February 13, 2012

Marriage Tango: A Poem by Lori Lipsky



Today, in honor of Valentine's Day, I'll share a marriage poem, Marriage Tango.


I read it yesterday at the Wisconsin Fellowship of Poets' Winter Festival


By the way, if you read the post last week, 25 Ways to Wear a Scarf , I would like to report back that I did indeed muster courage enough to wear my first scarf-in-a-public-setting yesterday at the reading. Whoo-hoo. 


Wish I could show a picture of the room and the scarf, but I've misplaced my camera. Hopefully it'll show up soon. Sally says she's seen it laying around somewhere...she just can't remember where. I've probably set some papers on top which now unintentionally hide it.






My entire writing group braved the weather yesterday and came to Avol's in downtown Madison, WI to hear me read and show their support. Wasn't that kind of them? Cheryl brought husband Randy and her lovely girls, too. Afterward, a few of us stayed down on State Street and ate an early dinner together. It was nice to de-brief and celebrate with them.


*****


Marriage is a dance. It's a lot of back and forth; all sorts of give and take...


Here's my Marriage Tango poem:




Marriage Tango
by Lori Lipsky


There are different ways to load a dishwasher
Bowls on bottom, bowls on top
Mine is the better method:-)
But we’ll do it your way

You’d prefer to listen to music as we read
I can’t concentrate with the distraction
You let me have my way
We read in silence

I’d prefer nice furniture
You love electronics
So we go back and forth, but
We do have some awesome electronics

You leap up in the morning
Move fast, accomplish much
My start is slow—I mull things over, drink coffee
You allow me my freedom

Your meetings go long
My dinner plans are ruined
I save you a plate
It’s not as good re-heated

I assign the kids jobs
You go easy on them
But you spoil me, too
And sometimes we spoil you

When we were first married you sacrificed
To get me the piano—it must have challenged your frugality
What would my life be without it?
I appreciate your generosity


*****
Thanks for dropping by Visits and Verse. Tomorrow, for Valentine's Day, I share another short poem that I wrote especially for tomorrow's post. 


13 comments:

Robin J. Steinweg said...

I am grateful to have attended your public poetry-reading debut. You entertained the group beautifully. Your historic poems cause me to want to learn more. We laughed, we wept, you had us in the palms of your hands.

Thank you for the invitation--and thank Avol's for having the Winter Festival at their charming bookstore.

Well done, Mrs. Lipsky!

Kim said...

I will try again. Lovely poem, Lori! Congratulations on your success!

Lori Lipsky said...

Robin,

Thanks for all of your support, Robin! Hey, I haven't been called Mrs. Lipsky in a while. I've missed it.

Lori Lipsky said...

Kim,

Thank you. It was so so great seeing you a couple of weeks ago here for the party. I've missed you! Thanks for stopping by at Visits and Verse and taking time to leave a note. You are always most welcome.

ScheltyDebate said...

Great poem. Brought a tear at the end. :) Happy tear.

Lori Lipsky said...

Thanks, ScheltyD.

Matt D said...

When it works
its often 'cause
we fill one another's
gaps.

Nicely put.

The Prude said...

The only way this poem could have been better was to have the poet read it with a classy scarf. Which she did, which means it could not be any better.

Lori Lipsky said...

Matt, "We fill one another's gaps" is a beautiful phrase.



Anita, You make me smile.

Susan said...

I am behind because I was registering Jake for the ACT and SAT yesterday, and it ate my day....but this poem was so worth catching up on. It made me cry!

Lori Lipsky said...

Happy Valentine's Day, Susan. Glad you liked the poem.

Suef said...

Wow, this poem is great! I am glad your public reading went well. I wish I could have been there.

Lori Lipsky said...

Thank you, Suef!